Sunday, October 28, 2007

Last blog I began with what I was up to 2 weeks ago. THIS time I start with what I'll be doing next week at this time, my eldest's wedding should be just finishing. How did my little baby, my sweet little Dan, become old enough to get married, to be a dad. I wish nothing but the best for them both. Danny is really happy.

This is a pic of Margaret's new hair, it's a wild change from the blond it was. The wedding colors are red and black so we figured we were consistent with the theme. She's had the blues since she broke up Joey, so today we bought her a Guinna pig, Stuie. She is delighted, Petey is a little frightened and perplexed- it's not a squirrel, it's not a dog or cat- what the hell IS it??

I have my saurbraten in the oven and it's making the house sing with the delightful fragrance.

Wanna make it?
Saurbraten
4lbs top or bottom round roast
1 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 teas. salt
10 crushed peppercorns
1 onion, sliced thin
2 Bay leaves
2 tbls pickling spice
3 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup gingersnaps
1/2 cups sour cream

Two days before suing it, put the beef in a deep glass or pottery bowl. In saucepan mix the wine, salt, peppercorns, onion slices, bay leaves and pickling spices with 2 cups of water and bring to boil. Remove from heat. When cool, pour over beef. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 days, turning meat in marinade at least twice a day.

On prep day preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt shortening in covered roasting pan or casserole. Remove meat from marinade, pat dry, and brown on all sides in warm shortening. Drain fat, strain marinade, and pour over meat. Cover and cook in over 2 - 2 1/2 hours, or until tender.

Remove meat, keep warm on platter. Put roasting pan on burner, add the gingersnap crumbs, stirring until gravy is thick and smooth. Stir in the sour cream, letting it warm but not boil (it will curdle) Slice the meat, serve with gravy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home